Monday, January 20, 2014

Bulletin Article for January 26, 2014


Have you ever tried to wander around your house in the dark? Navigating any room in the dark is difficult. We tend to stumble through places we easily get around in the daylight, stubbing our toes on furniture we can’t see, stepping on those pesky Legos the children forgot to pick up, tripping over things we normally would just walk over. My wife, Ruthie, works full-time nights as a nurse, a sacrifice she has made for our family over the past 30 years. We purposely keep our bedroom dark so that she might have a half a chance to sleep during the day. On those nights she has off, when I get up in early in the morning, I generally just turn on a penlight that hangs on the knob of my bedside table so that it gives me enough light for to get dressed by, but will not disturb the sleep Ruthie really needs. It is amazing how such a little light can be of such great help. We live in a world filled with darkness. Violence, abuse, poverty, hunger, illness, underemployment and unemployment are just some of the things many people navigate in life, and has plagued humanity for eons. We hear in the psalm, “the Lord is my light and my salvation, of whom should I be afraid.” Like that little penlight in my bedroom, the light of Christ is there to help us penetrate the darkness of our world. To live by Christ’s light is to choose a life in which the darkness can never overwhelm us, in which we can overcome despair. When we live in Christ’s light, we, in turn, can be a source of light to others, and joining with one another as Christ’s light bearers, turn this world of darkness into a world of light.


No comments:

Post a Comment