Wednesday, August 12, 2015

DECREPITUDE

 DECREPITUDE
 
 Decrepitude,
I had been forewarned
that this would happen,
it is true.
A decrepit old has been,
once reminded was I
upon receiving my first bifocals.
I swear, I wear
decrepitude like a shirt tag
upon my body,
doomed to shrinking
inch by inch,
ever relentless
the laws of gravity.
The cartilage deprivation
makes even the
well paved roads to Hell,
a journey filled with
walking and wincing.
 
Decrepitude
and diminishment
synonymous words
are they?
How we empower
these two word
impacts
our life's actions
with positive or
negative energy.
Can they be virtues?
Without these words
a life full of distractions
wanders aimlessly,
caught in an endless maze
of no purpose, no direction.
 
Decrepitude
is laced with
diminishment
which sharpens the mind,
clarifying that
which has precedence,
importance,
heightening the senses.
In growing lesser,
ironically produces
greater growth,
an emptying out of self
so relationships with others
may fill lives to the brim.
As I have diminished
in decrepitude,
you have grown
even more in my life,
but, you do not come alone,
you bring with you
the life force of our God.
© 2105. The Book Of Ruth, Deacon Bob Wagner OFS. All rights reserved.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment