Saturday, August 15, 2015

HOMILY FOR THE WEDDING OF BRADEN SCHRUPP AND ALLISTAIR MCCRADY



Allistair and Braden, as I said last evening at the rehearsal, you will probably not remember any of this homily. And, it is perfectly natural. I do not remember anything the priest said during the homily at my wedding. I was so caught up in the moment of being married to the woman of my dreams, that nothing could have ever distracted me from that state of emotion and mind. 

I have been at many weddings over the past 39 years of church ministry, either as a liturgical musician or officiating as a deacon as I am now. I remember one wedding so vividly. The bride was being processed down the aisle by her father. She was so stunningly beautiful, as you are today, Allistair. Breathtakingly beautiful was she in her white dress and veil, her long dark hair standing out in contrast to the white of her dress. She had such a captivating smile on her face. All the while she was being processed down the aisle by her father, he kept saying to her, “You can still get of this if you want to, I won’t be mad. You don’t have to get married.” She responded by smiling that beautiful smile at her dad and kept on processing. I remember that wedding so specifically because this happened at my own wedding to my wife, Ruth. This past December 27th, Ruthie and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary and her dad was there at the party our kids planned for us. I approached Ruthie’s dad and just said, “Well, Al, I think the marriage has worked.” 

I began chronicling my life with Ruth in poetry form in 2011 while I was on a medical leave from a long illness. For Christmas that year, I gave her a collection of 25 poems as a present, and I have kept adding poems to that collection ever since. I call the collection, “The Book Of Ruth.” On the occasion of our 40th wedding anniversary I wrote Ruthie a poem, entitled, “Learning How To Walk.” Here is the last part of that poem.


To walk with you is                                                                         
to learn how to love,                                                                       
each measured step,                                                                     
a grace-filled journey                                                                    
to something greater,                                                                   
far beyond and far better                                                           
than the stumbling steps                                                             
that I could have                                                                             
made on my own.                                                                          
                                                                                                               
To  walk with you,                                                                          
is to see the                                                                                       
world with different                                                                       
eyes, colors bursting                                                                      
through the greys,
warmth on the 
coldest of days, your     
voice floating, playing
delightfully in the air      
alongside until the
sound settles gently,
gracefully in my ears.

We have walked many
steps together in life,
my gait now not as steady,
these days of uncertain
limbs, joints and cane.
In walking with you,
new discoveries never
end, new beginnings
abound, and that
with you, the first
and the finest of
all teachers, learning
to walk is never
fully learned.

Braden and Allistair, from this moment forward you will be joined physically, emotionally, and spiritually as one. And, as your relationship with one another continues to grow and deepen, you will find that your hearts will be joined together as one heart beating for both of you. You will be the best of teachers to one another, learning together how to walk as one throughout life.

You chose the same gospel that Ruthie and I chose 40 years ago at our wedding. Jesus harkens back to that passage early on in the Book of Genesis of marriage being the joining of two people into one body. This reflects what is told us in the story of creation that when God created man and woman, God created them in God’s own self-image. God is both male and female, and when a man and a woman are joined together in marriage, they find a completeness not found separately, together, they express the fullness of God in all of God’s entirety and reflect that full presence of God to all those around them.

The sacrament of marriage reveals to the world that God is the greatest of all lovers, making love to us every moment of every day. It is God’s breath that animates us. It is God’s heart that beats within us. God is always present to us, always listening, always loving, always consoling, ready to touch our lives in so many ways.

When we as married couples respond to the needs and care of each other from that deep desire to love and care for each other, we discover that it is God’s love that has transformed us and has made us whole. We find that those undesirable traits within us can be transformed because we want to be transformed. We discover that the relationship we share as a married couple is based on mutuality, reflecting the mutuality of God’s relationship with us, and not some absurd notion that because of a difference in gender one is greater than another or has power over the other. Transformed by God’s love within, we become a living sacrament, a living testament of God’s love for all the world to see.

I have found in my marriage to Ruth over these past 40 years that my greatest and most profound experience of God is my wife, Ruth. From her lips I hear God say to me, “I love you.” “I forgive you.” In her embrace, God embraces me. In her gentle touch, God comforts me. From her womb I have witnessed Creation at the birth of our children. She is the greatest teacher of unconditional love. She never preaches or lectures. She just puts love into action. I have told her that one of these days, when I grow up, I want to be just like her. I have known and admired many people throughout my life, but she is the only one I have wanted to emulate. All the changes I have willed in my life have been at wanting to be more like her.

By profession, Ruthie is a registered nurse, and for the past 30 years has worked full-time nights so that one of us could always be home with our kids. This has been a tremendous sacrifice on her part. I excused myself from the groom’s dinner last night, so that I could be at home to wake her up and to kiss her and wave goodbye to her as she left for work. I often find myself up in the wee hours of the morning, the time that I usually write these little poems. In closing, I wrote this poem to her last week. It is entitled, “Portraiture.”

Late at night
when you are off to work,
I love to pour through
my photographs of you,
slowly, carefully savoring
the intricate pattern of
shading, highlighting
your cheeks, your smile,
and most especially,
your eyes,
your dark brown eyes,
in whose mysterious depths
resides the beautiful
portraiture of God.

When I gave this poem to Ruth last week. She read it, and with a twinkle in her eye she said, “Well, at least this time you got the color of my eyes correct.”  (You know, you make one mistake 45 years ago and you never live it down.) Braden and Allistair, may you find as you peer into one another’s eyes every day, the image and the likeness of the God who created you. And may you as a couple reflect that love of God to all those you encounter.


No comments:

Post a Comment