Saturday, August 22, 2015

FOR MY DAD ON HIS HUNDRETH BIRTHDAY



FOR MY DAD ON HIS ONE HUNDRETH BIRTHDAY

I feel you hovering around me,
your presence, your spirit,
a sense of  feeling, like
fingertips lightly grazing
across the skin. Ten years
have passed since you
shook off the coils of
this world.  Your presence
is not some ethereal spirit
condemned to haunt some
place of past transgression,
but more that of a father,
connected forever to the
ones that he loves.

I feel you the strongest
when complexities clutter
my life, my mind seeking
communion with yours,
calling out to you as a
frightened child cries out
for comfort in the predawn
hours following a nightmare.
Staring into the bathroom
mirror I search for your
face, in the creases on
my forehead and the
crows feet around my eyes.
I long to hear your voice
praying a blessing over me
before I go off to bed,
as you did for so many years.

Your DNA formed and shaped
me, yet, as each snowflake
is created distinctly different
and beautiful by God our Creator,
so I realize that I am like and so
unlike you, similar yet never
the quite the same. Gratitude,
born long before my birth,
I rejoice in having walked
alongside you for fifty-two years,
a man of great faith, dressed
to the “T’s in integrity and dignity.

Many look upon your image
and call you “iron man”, one
who has been tested in life
and proven worthy, one
who is able to bear life’s
great and heavy burdens.
As for me, you will simply
be, “my dad”, one devoted
to God and to his family. One
who loved me into existence.
Happy Birthday, Dad.
© 2015. The Book Of Ruth, Deacon Bob Wagner OFS. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment