Monday, April 6, 2015

5. RESURRECTION – WHERE’S THE GRACE? (from the Book of Ruth)



Grace, though all around us
seems to be such
an elusive commodity.
In the midst of adversity,
it seemingly disappears
altogether, our blindness
failing to detect its
presence and abundance.
So it is true for me,
attached to a tree
of hanging I.V. bags,
the roots of which
are attached to
my right forearm.

Fr. Steve, boss, pastor,
priest enters my room,
eyes in one observant
sweep take in my
condition, avoids
the subject of physical
well-being altogether
asking, “Where’s the grace?”
Stupefied indignation
wells within, far better
to have asked, “Where’s
the beef,” a question to
which I had a more
concrete answer.


Why the question,
“Where’s the grace?”
Would not a more
appropriate inquiry
be, “How are you
feeling” or “How
are you doing?” Or
is the general green
pallor of post-op
nausea and the
grimace on my face,
already makes such
questions redundant?


“Where’s the grace?
Well, where the hell
is there grace in a
broken body attached
by tubes  and pumps
to a lifeline of medications
and fluids? Where’s the
grace in knowing that
one’s life has irrevocably
changed, and not for
the better? Where’s
the grace? Damned
if I know, but wait …
is grace like mercury,
elusive, slippery
silver-white droplets
of element when combined
with other droplets
become a very potent force?

A slight raise off
the pillow, a groan,
a pause as imagination
sees a fist, my fist
smashing his astonished
priestly face, then
the utterance,
“I don’t know
where the grace is,
but I suppose I
will find out.”
Then, you walk
into the room,
and I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment