Friday, April 3, 2015

PASSION AND DEATH - TRAUMA CENTER



PASSION AND DEATH – TRAUMA CENTER
From one Emergency Room to another,
pants cut away, left leg protruding
high over the hip, hands push hard,
gut wrenching pain, an air cast
secured by duct tape, a long
ambulance ride on ice-slick
roads north to a trauma hospital,
each bump a jolt of pain,
each stop an agonizing conclusion.
You  and Andy follow close
behind the ambulance, a
makeshift cortege like
the procession of cars
behind a hearse. Bright
lights of the Trauma Center
cut through the sleety
gloom of the night, gurney
transfer to another
Emergency Room, greeted
with, “What’s this shit
around your leg?” Explanations
of air casts notwithstanding,
“We don’t like it,” as
duct tape is cut, air cast
removed, more pain
shoots up from the break
to my brain. A flat board
strapped to the leg,
and more pain. You
walk in as the gurney
transfers me once more,
a crease of worry on
your forehead, I smile
feebly, we both know
what lay ahead.

My years working in
x-ray, I know that
good pictures come
only at the cost
of much pain. To lay
on the part the hurs
the most is the only
way, “Let’s get this
over with,” no need
to hold my breath,
the pain catches my
breath in my throat.
“1, 2, 3,” the x-rays hum
around my leg, then
a loud click, the sound
of hard flat slides
moving out and in
the x-ray table, another
position, another breath
caught in my throat,
eyes clenched in pain,
“That didn’t take, we need
to do it again.” How long,
ten minutes, an eternity?
I know only the pain.
Transfer to the floor,
nurses hustle about,
vitals taken, whispered
conversations, “we need
to talk away this board.”
Leave it the hell alone
does not dissuade, as
the board is removed,
and the leg is placed
in traction, more pain,
an administration of more
pain-killer, then darkness.

How long did you stay,
exhausted from lack
of sleep and worry?
Did you peek in and
visit me as I laid
there? I can’t remember.
A long, slow ride back
to New Prague, over
sleet-covered roads
is ahead of you, only
to make the trip again
in the morning. Love
has a way of cutting
through exhaustion,
heightening the senses
a shot of adrenaline
giving strength to
muscles at the point
of fatigue. Love
welling up from the
heart, clears the mind,
focus becomes sharpened,
and purpose defined.
How much sleep did
you get that night?
More than likely, very
little, yet there you
were in the morning
as I was wheeled
into surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment