Friday, April 3, 2015

PASSION AND DEATH - SATURNALIA



2.        PASSION AND DEATH - SATURNALIA
Night drive on sleety
dark roads, March melancholy
fills my soul, thoughts
of the morning’s death
of our beloved Pyr,
Floydrmoose. A flash
of light, straight ahead
not to the side,
Son of a B –! jolt wrenching
impacted plastic, twisted
metal screaming, body
jarring, slamming into
the seat; airbag deploying
glasses into the backseat,
and the worlds turn and
whirl in the darkness
of night. Unseen forces
catapult the car down
the embankment,
across rough surfaces,
frozen cornrows thumping
under tires, hands
clenched to the
steering wheel,
then roll to a
stop. Wiggle fingers,
wiggle toes, neck check,
raise right arm, then left,
move right leg, then …
pain seers up
and down my left leg
jammed, trapped
under the impact of
collapsed dashboard.

Blind passenger seat
reach yields the
cell phone, finger stabs
nine-one-one, remote
voice of the dispatcher,
report the accident,
injuries, mayhem, pain,
trapped in the car,
send ambulance and
squad. Call home,
repeat the report, then
wait, in the dark,
thirty minutes of drivers-by
inquiries, squad car lights
blink patterns of red, then
blue across the frozen
surface of the field,
the ambulance pulling
behind the blinking lights,
more muffled voices
report to unknown voices,
acetylene torch sparks,
the welder’s sparkler,
cuts the center post
from the crumpled
driver’s door, as
the post is ripped out,
I look up to the road,
you pass by slowly
like a ghost on the
road, bound to Eden
Prairie, and Luke,
completing the mission
I failed to execute.
A whispered, ”Lay back.
We’re going to pull you out.”
The back of my seat drops
a flat board placed under
my back, another whisper,
“This is going to hurt
like hell!” Falling gently
backwards unbelievable
intense pressure, the pain
roars in my head, a
sudden, “one, two, three
pull!!” My breath catches,
eyes wide open, amazingly
no curses escape my lips.
I look down on the field,
the frozen bits and pieces
of ploughed under corn,
sticking up like lifeless
fingers, waving, “Adieu!”
as I’m carried across
the frozen field, up
the embankment, and
inserted into the ambulance.
Unforeseen adventures,
with unknowable outcomes,
no strangers to me by now.
A voice calls into the
hospital, a muffled reply
acknowledges, it looks
to be a very long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment