Friday, April 3, 2015

RESURRECTION - GETTIN NAILED



4. RESURRECTION – GETTING NAILED
Is it not the case that
unless necessity wills it,
we are content to remain
blissfully ignorant of
much around us?
A femur nail – until that day,
I had not a clue what it
was. Was it used in construction
to fasten a wooden stud
to a cement slab? Was it
some exotic mixture of
various alcohols designed
to make the coherent,
incoherent, and drive
sobriety over a cliff?
“To be nailed” is a
phrase that bears
many connotations from
a triumphal sexual
encounter, to a fist
slamming into one’s
gut, to being caught
in a transgression
resulting in punishment,
yet, today, I learn
a whole new meaning
“to being nailed.”

No water, no food,
the usual prequisites
for surgery, the patient
patiently enduring
stomach pangs, and
dry mouth, awaiting
the inevitable administration
of a mini-death induced
assortment of drugs.
Pain is an excellent
distraction from thirst
and hunger, for pain
only seeks to be
resolved. I smile
feebly as you enter
my room, my leg
still in traction. The
nurse arrives and
announces that they
are ready. Hands
grasp the sheets, a
four corner transfer
from bed to gurney
for the trip down
to surgery.

You accompany this
solemn procession
walking alongside
giving me encouragement
down the elevator
to pre-op, and wait
silently outside the
curtained-off room
as anesthetists find
veins, catheter inserted,
and administer the
first of many injections.
Dreamily, I look upon
you as you reenter
and take my hand,
stroking it in that
way that you have
that communicates
a calming peace and
an overwhelming love.
The time has come,
the last drug administered
and you leave, seemingly
floating away like a cloud
as I drop into the dark
tomb of anesthesia.

Was it three hours,
three and a half hours,
three days? I do not know.
I was far away, in some
other place, as the
four pairs of hands
held me down on the
table, and the surgeon,
inserted the 26 inch
tungsten nail to my
bone and began to
pound away, driving
that long piece of
tungsten into my femur,
testing the strength
of all four people t
preventing me from flying
away as he pounded
and pounded and
pounded that nail
into my left leg.

A gentle reawakening,
quiet voices encouraging
me to return from the
darkness, light slowly
filling my vision, as
my eyes took in the
post-op room. Vitals
checked every fifteen
minutes, a general
feeling of well-being
and contentment
abounds, ah, the
wonders of anesthesia,
that is, until it wears
off and is replaced by
nausea and pain.
I search for your face
among the many
female faces in
post-op, but saw only
a stetile environment of
white and pale green
surgical caps, gowns,
and masks, if this
is the after-life,
though not much to
look at, well, at least
it is not unpleasant.
The Twain quip comes
to mind of going to
heaven for the scenery
and going to hell
for the company. At
which was I? Then,
you part the curtains
around my bed
and walk into the
room. I am at neither,
I have been resurrected
and as I look upon
your face, know that
I look upon the
Beloved of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment