Saturday, May 16, 2015

Homily for the Ascension of Jesus, 2015



In each and every one of our lives, we have seminal experiences that are pivotal to our lives. We go back to these experiences time and time again in order to learn and to gain new insight for our lives. One such seminal experience for me was the death of my dad 10 years ago. He died in the early morning hours of Nov 13th 2004. I received a call from Queen of Peace hospital at 4 in the morning that he was dying, I called my mom, picked her up and we went straight to the hospital, only to be told that he had died 5 minutes before we got there.


As my mom was calling the funeral director, I sat deep in thought by the side of my dad’s lifeless body. He was 89 years old. He was one of the most brilliant, compassionate, honest human being that I had ever known. A man of great integrity, he possessed great wisdom. Relatives, acquaintances, people in high places throughout the nation sought him for his wisdom. And, as I sat there, the sudden, scary thought hit me, that with his passing from this life to the next, he passed on the responsibility to be that wisdom figure for the family to me. That was an incredibly intimidating thought, which drew from me the response, that anyone coming to me for wisdom was going to be so out of luck! The overall question that hit me at that moment was, “So now what am I going to do?”


As overwhelming as the thought of becoming the wisdom figure of the family was to me at my father’s death, imagine how overwhelmed the apostles felt when Jesus told them to carry on his mission. Here they are in today’s gospel, Jesus is just telling him that he is going to leave them and that they were to go and continue his mission of proclaiming the gospel to people everywhere. What do you think is running through their minds? Probably the same thing that was running through my mind as I sat next to my dad’s lifeless body. “Who us?  The greatest doofuses in the world?! Now what are we going to do?” This is especially evident in Luke’s account of the Ascension from the Acts of the Apostles in which the angel basically says to them to quit looking up in the sky like a bunch of idiots and get busy


As a kid, this great commission of Jesus to go and proclaim the gospel to every corner of the earth had very little impact on me as a kid. As an adolescent and throughout my early adulthood, I thought that the great commission of Jesus to go and proclaim the gospel was something that only priests and nuns did. However, the bottom line is that the great commission of Jesus is a mission that is not just given to clergy and religious, it is given to each and every one of us. 


When we were baptized, following the pouring of the water, the crown of our heads were anointed with the oil of chrism. During that anointing we heard the priest or deacon pray that as Jesus had been anointed priest, prophet and king, so we, too, had been anointed priest, prophet, and king, and that our mission from this point on in our lives was to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to people everywhere. “Now what are we suppose to do?”


Over this past week while on vacation, I had some time not only to relax and be with Ruthie, but also some time to read and study. One of the books I read over this vacation was The Lord Is My Shepherd: Healing Wisdom of the Twenty-third Psalm by Rabbi Harrold Kushner. He, like many pastors in New York City, had many parishioners affected by the tragic events of 9/11. He observed that Psalm 23 is one of those prayers that has a profound impact on people undergoing crisis in their lives. In the book he devotes a chapter to each passage of the Psalm.


In the chapter on the passage, “He anoints my head with oil, my heart overflows,” Rabbi Kushner writes that Isaac Luria, a great Jewish theologian from the 16th century pictured the world as shattered into little pieces “because it was too fragile and delicate to contain the intense holiness of God.” Humanity lives in a world filled with these broken fragments, each of them containing God’s presence. Luria  believed that our mission as human beings is to repair the world by finding these fragments and painstakingly fitting them back together as we would fit pieces of a jigsaw puzzle back together. In a way, this is a great image for all of us Catholic Christians on this Solemnity of the Ascension for it answers the question, “Now what are we suppose to do?”


Jesus came to us to sanctify and heal a humanity that had been broken into irreparable pieces by Original Sin. In his death and resurrection he gave to you and to me the ability and the power to take these shattered pieces of humanity, including ourselves, to begin to rebuild into one, the humanity that God created at the beginning of the world. Each and every one of our lives is a piece of that one great humanity. Our mission in life, the Great Commission, is to join our lives, our piece, with that of others. 


How? We were given that at our baptism, too. We are to live the great commandment of loving God and loving neighbor. The Great Commandment is at the very center of everything we do as Catholic Christians. It is the main point of each and every teaching of the Church. It is the central point of each and every homily. In loving God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind, and all our strength, we find ourselves here today at Mass in this church so that we may become one with the God who created us and find the grace, the power to go forth and love our neighbor as ourselves, thus taking our piece of humanity and joining it to the pieces of humanity around us.


This is why the Church as a community of believers is so very important to us and to the world. As greater and greater pieces and sections of humanity are joined together in the Great Commandment of Jesus, we will become a living sign of Christ Jesus to all the other broken and shattered pieces of humanity in the world. This is the mission that Jesus gave to the apostles on that Ascension, and the mission continues today in you and in me.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment