Friday, May 15, 2015

Layla



LAYLA
The sound of the guitar riff
breaks through the silence,
and in its repeated figure,
the musician’s broken heart
accentuated in two octaves.
Unrequited love dominating
the Top Forty, who knew
that a broken heart could
generate such popularity?

“La Fille au Bouquet” the
unattainable Blonde
adorns this album  of
love song despondency
wrapped within twelve bar
blues, written by seekers
blinded by love. Song
after song, brilliantly
played, voices of heartache
bring the listener, slowly,
painstakingly to a
climax of male anguish,
knowing that the interplay
of voice, guitars, keyboards
and drums, no matter
how brilliantly executed
would not be able to sway
the mind or the heart
of “La Fille au Bouquet.”
Captivated, the music
draws me into its
angst, love at its
most tortured. During
this Summer of ’71,
I, one among your
many suitors, hope
beyond all hope for
an outcome much
different than that
of the song’s
tortured musician.

You come by in the
evening to visit me as
I make my circular
rounds in the mall,
holding in your hands
this album of songs,
yet unheard in its
entirety by you, a
present to me, a
sign of your affection
and friendship. I
accept from your
hands with a
mixture of love,
gratitude and
trepidation this
song assortment
of forsaken love
hoping that in its
acceptance, I am not
dooming myself
to the same fate.
© 2015. Deacon Bob Wagner OFS. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment