Friday, June 26, 2015

A HIGH SCHOOL DUET




A HIGH SCHOOL DUET
I had played many duets,
pieces for piano four hands
with people in whose hands
I had very little interest.
So very different are you
from the musical partners
of my past, your demeanor
of warmth and openness
like a welcoming embrace
to those you meet. Little
the time, and never enough
is that which we spend
in band and algebra.

You, a virtuosi of the
French Horn, playing
with such an ease and
authority far beyond my
meager efforts. In truth,
however, I find myself
hampered, distracted,
utterly captivated by you,
my glances to the side
to watch you undetected,
often my downfall, getting
lost in my music
warranting me a highly
arched eyebrow and a
a quizzical look by
our band director.

Rehearsal ends and as
our horns are mutually
placed back into their
cases, our band director
singles us out. I, expecting
a reprimand for my lack
of musical concentration,
am ready to confess to
anything to spare you
embarrassment, but,
a proposition instead
is placed before us,
a French Horn duet for
the Spring Concert. In
great eagerness I accept,
sending simultaneously
a silent prayer for your
assent, which quietly
you give.

Practicing in earnest,
doubly on my part,
avoiding embarrassment
not my primary goal, nor
wanting to impress you,
for my deepest want is
to make more than just
music with you. Courting
in high school, an
encounter with a caste
system as sacred as
the Hindu, harboring
aspirations far above
a person’s station a
dangerous precedent.
A Junior asking a Senior
on a date, recklessness,
abandoning protocols
passed from one generation
to another, unwritten as
they may be, as unheard
of the love between a
Capulet and a Montague,
a love story not wanting
to emulate. The burning
question always on the
tip of my tongue, waiting
to be voiced during that
rare moment of rest in our
afternoon duet rehearsals,
but never spoken, trepidation’s
silence always winning.

The evening’s concert comes,
you arrive sick, in spite of
nausea, blinding migraines
and feverish brow, the show
must go on. My heart aches,
compassion for your condition
dictates that repeat signs
be damned, and so it must
be, but alas, unaware are
you of this change. The band
plays its numbers, our duet
is next, our chairs and stands
placed in front of the band
we begin the duet so long
practiced, our goal finally
before us, I playing straight
through, you playing the
repeats. Horrified, fumbling,
finally finding you in the
jumble of measures, notes
and staff, our horns unite
once more somehow,
someway and finish
the duet together.

At concert’s end home
you go to your bed
in your Aunt and Uncle’s
house, and I to the
backseat of my parent’s
car. Overheard on that
ride home my parents’
conversation, how you
impressed them and
how is it I had not asked
you out on a date?
Waiting a day for you
to heal, determined not
to be swayed by again
by fear nor the unspoken
protocols of  High School,
I approach you in band
and boldly ask you out.
And you say … “Yes.”
© 2015. The Book Of Ruth, Deacon Bob Wagner OFS. All rights reserved.




No comments:

Post a Comment