Friday, June 19, 2015

HIGH SCHOOL PICTURE




HIGH SCHOOL PICTURE
The year book is open
to your senior picture,
this one by two inch
portrait of you forever
captures your image,
your thick dark hair,
the same beautiful smile
I have seen everyday
sitting next to you in band.
I have grown so close
to you in a years time,
this intimacy on my
part secretly growing
within unbeknownst to me
until now, as I gaze at
you smiling up at me
from the page. The
thought of sitting alone,
you graduated and off
exploring new life,
new direction far from
the cloister of High School,
fills me with great longing,
and great melancholy.

I sit, obsessively searching
your picture, closely
examining every aspect
of your face, committing
to memory, the shape
of your face, the arch
of your eyebrows, the
way your dark hair frames
your face, your eyes,
your nose, your lips,
which I have so longed
to kiss, my mind all
the time hearing your
voice, praying that
graduation will not be
the last day I hear
you speak, wishing
that somehow I could
have recorded your voice
so that on those days
I miss you the most
in the year ahead,
I hear you saying my name
over and over again.

I go to the drawing table
my father made for me,
collecting pencils, brushes,
a bottle of India ink
and a large piece of
white drawing paper,
and placing these on
the table I sit, and slowly,
lovingly transfer your
image from the page
of the yearbook to
the paper in front of me.
As I draw each line,
shape and shading
of your face on the paper,
they appear simultaneously,
imprinted forever
on my heart.
© 2015. The Book Of Ruth, Deacon Bob Wagner OFS, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment