Friday, June 19, 2015

OVERWHELMED



OVERWHELMED
You are unaware, my love,
of my world shredding
around me, emotionally
hanging in tatters from
me like torn clothing.
Was it pride on my part
that kept this secret
from you, or was it
more bewilderment, an
uncertainty in dealing
with something totally
unknown, unable to find
the word to express what
or what I wasn’t feeling?

Working fifty weeks a year,
seven days a week, with
no days off, the proverbial
Merry-go-round doomed
to a continuous ride
around and around and
around, with no
apparent way to depart
brings about not the deep
abyss of depression, but
the absence of feeling,
a numbness of emotion,
where happiness, sorrow,
anger, love are held
in stasis, an emotional
Limbo from whence
there is no escape.

There is a hidden power
in naming someone or
something, library
search and research
bestows that power
to me. Burnout, the
parasitic creature that
attaches itself to the
souls of those
dedicating their lives
in service to others.
To name is but one
step, but to address
it by name and cure it,
comes not so easy.

Weighed down with this
burden I begin my
drive from home, forty-five
miles separate the college
seminary from our home.
As I pass through pastoral
settings of rural countryside,
fields of corn and soybeans,
alfalfa swaying in the breeze,
cows grazing in pastures,
my soul cries out to Christ
for healing, to release
this emotional parasite
sucking life from my spirit.

Suddenly the blue skies,
dazzling with the sunlight
of the day give way
to a void, black as night,
a fierce wind buffeting
me about, the only thing
preventing me being
flung into the darkness,
my right hand grasping
a piece of white cloth,
the hem of a garment.
I look up and see the
face of the victorious
Crucified, He who in
dying, lived. His face
radiant with peace,
healed from injury.

He smiles, his right arm
descending in an arc,
and bending over
grasps my right wrist
and pulls me up not
over his body, but
directly  into his body,
himself becomes myself,
his hand, my hand,
his heart, my heart,
our eyes look around
the dark void and see
all these people
desperately clinging
to the hem of our alb.
We smile reassuringly
at them, their faces
scarred, and scared,
and startled as our
arm descends in a
graceful arc, our hand
grasps their wrists,
and one by one,
we pull them up
within ourself.

The darkness leaves
as quickly as it came,
the bright blue sky
dazzling with sunlight
returns once more.
I find myself on the
freeway, not knowing
how I traveled safely
the miles of winding
rural county roads.
Surprised more so
than bewildered,
I search my soul and
find the numbness
of Burnout replaced
with gratitude. Tears
fill my eyes knowing
the healing that
happened in that
dark, wind-torn place
alone with my God.
And then suddenly
I knew, I knew what
I would be doing
the rest of my life.
© 2015. The Book Of Ruth, Deacon Bob Wagner OFS. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment