Thursday, June 25, 2015

HOMILY FROM THE 12TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME, Jesus calming the storm at sea



There is a wonderful  phrase in the first sentence of the Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians today. “The love of Christ impels us.” I think the New Jerusalem Bible translates this phrase far better. “The love of Christ overwhelms us.”  “The love of Christ overwhelms us.”  The story in the gospel of Jesus calming the storm at sea is a wonderful example of this phrase.

The apostles and Jesus are crossing the Sea of Galilee in their little boat. A storm come up, the wind begins to toss the boat around, the waves crash over the bow and begin to swamp the boat. While all of this is going on, Jesus is taking a nap. Alarmed that they will be drowned, the apostles awaken Jesus, who stands and at his command the storm ceases and the waters become calm. Jesus’ love for the welfare of his apostles overwhelms the storm that is battering their little boat. Is not this story the perfect allegory of many of our lives?

How often have we experienced being overwhelmed by the events in our lives? The loss of a relationship, the loss of a job, the loss of our home, the loss of a loved one to death, the loss of health, all of these events can overwhelm our lives to such an extent that we feel like we are drowning in them. When these things happen to us, we need to remember the lesson that the apostles learned in today’s gospel, namely, that the love of Jesus overwhelms all things, even the negative things that can happen to us in life.

Back in June of 1981 I suffered from extreme burnout, only I didn’t know what it was. I had no name for it. Burnout afflicts many people who dedicate their lives in service to others. Nurses, nurses aides, EMTs, doctors, firefighters, ambulance crews, many in church ministry have often experienced burnout. Burnout is a parasite that sucks the life from the spirit of a person. You don’t feel anger, or sorrow, or joy, or love. You feel nothing. You feel dead inside. Emotionally, you feel like a zombie, only you don’t go around eating brains.  To not be able to feel any emotion is a great burden. 

It was about 7:30 in the morning and I began my drive up to the College of St. Thomas where I had begun graduate school. During those days, I usually traveled the winding roads of highway 13 to the very winding roads of County Road 8 from which I got onto to the freeway.

As I set out from home down Highway 13 on this beautiful, bright sunny day, I prayed to Jesus to heal me from feeling so dead emotionally. What happened next is what I can only call a mystical experience.  As I was driving, all of a sudden, I was no longer in my car. The bright sunny day disappeared and I found myself in this very dark void. The wind was buffeting me around fiercely and the only thing that prevented me from being blown away, was that my right hand had a grasp on a piece of white cloth and I was holding onto that cloth for dear life.

I looked at what I was holding, and it was the hem of a long white garment. I looked up and saw the face of the victorious Christ crucified. He, who in dying, lived. His face was radiant with peace, free from all injury. I uttered just one word, “Help!” He smiled and reached down with his right arm, his right hand grasping me by the wrist and he pulled me up. As I was being lifted, I was not lifted up over his body, but rather into his body.  Himself became myself. His hand became my hand. His eyes became my eyes. We then looked around the dark, windy void and saw all these people desperately hanging on to the hem of our alb, their faces looked so scarred, scared and startled. One by one, we reached down and began to pull these people up within ourself.

Suddenly, I was no longer in that dark void, but back in my car driving up Interstate 35 somewhere around one of the Lakeville exits. I had no idea how I got there. I searched within myself and found the burnout completely gone. I was healed of the burnout. I was filled with such gratitude. I also knew very clearly what I would be doing the rest of my life. 
 
The love of Christ overwhelmed the darkness in my life. In spite of all the hard experiences I have had since that time, I have never been overwhelmed by them. I have felt frustration or discomfort, but never again have I felt overwhelmed. 

The love of Christ trumps all things. The love of Christ overwhelms all confusion, all hopelessness, all evil.  The love of Christ overwhelms and blesses all of creation. When the storms in our lives batter us and toss us about, just like the apostles in their little boat, we must turn to Jesus and just say, “Help.” As the love of Jesus overwhelmed the storm and calm the waters of the Sea of Galilee, so will the love of Jesus overwhelm all things in our lives, and bring to us his calm and his peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment